I. Buildings Integral to the Former Life and/or Persecution of Jews in Hamburg - Neustadt/St. Pauli.
© Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-jüdische Gesellschaft Hamburg.
15. Nos. 17 and 17a Peterstraße.
This synagogue was built by the Jewish architect A. Rosengarten and dedicated in 1853. The "Vereinigten Alten und Neuen Klaus" was a trust that awarded scholarships to gifted school pupils and interested laymen enabling them to study ancient Jewish texts.
The synagogue of the "Vereinigten Alten und Neuen Klaus" was built to replace the previous Klaus building that was destroyed by fire in 1848. The architect A. Rosengarten also built a new building for the Klaus Trust, former No. 17 fronting the street, that included a prayer hall which was officially opened in 1849.
The new synagogue, former No. 17a, was situated in the rear courtyard of the new building No. 17. The actual synagogue was situated on the first floor, the ground floor being the rabbi's flat. The synagogue, which was accessed via a narrow alley and that was only accessible from the south, was restricted to men.
In 1919 the synagogue was sold as a warehouse following the building of a new synagogue in 1906 at No. 11a Rutschbahn in the Rotherbaum district of Hamburg. Today nothing remains of the former buildings Nos 17 and 17a Peterstraße. A fenced sports area covers the entire site stretching along this section of todays Peterstraße. This section of todays Peterstraße does not correspond to the course of the former Zweite Peterstraße. It has been displaced to the south. The former Erste Peterstraße is also now a part of Marcusstraße.
Formerly Klausstiftungen (Klaus Trusts) or Klausen existed in all large Jewish
communities. There were
a total of three in Hamburg. The Klause, correctly known as "Vereinigten Alten und Neuen Klaus"
was situated on a site donated by M.S. Elsas. Two rabbis were supported from the interest
accrued on capital accumulated from 1750.
The other two Klausen were situated in the Erster Elbstraße (Wallichsche Klause), and in Alte Wallstraße.
German text: Dipl.-Pol. Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-Jüdische Gesellschaft, Hamburg.