III. Buildings Integral to the Former Life and/or Persecution of Jews in Hamburg - Rotherbaum II/Harvestehude.
© Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-jüdische Gesellschaft Hamburg.
6. No. 68 Johnsallee.
In 1939, at the outbreak of the Second World War, the Israelitische Krankenhaus (Israelite Hospital), situated in the former Eckernförderstraße (todays Simon-von-Utrechtstraße), in the district of St. Pauli, had to be vacated.
The Hamburg Health Authority allocated the clinic at No. 68 Johnsallee, that at that time belonged to the Diakonissenhaus "Siloah". As the building was spacially inadequate the Jüdische Religionsveband (Jewish Religious Federation) made N. 54 Johnallee additionally available. The Jüdische Religionsveband also accommodated a number of nurses in the building at No. 6 Beneckestraße. The transfer took place in mid September 1939.
In 1938, Dr. Ascher Adolph Calmann sold a part of No. 64/68 Johnsallee to the Diakonissenhaus "Siloah" Society. Evidently, he sold his gynaecological clinic at No. 68 Johnsallee. The building at No. 68 Johnsallee was built by the architect Erich Elingius in 1916/17.
Dr. Fritz Warburg was chairman of the Kuratorium (committee) of the Israelitische Krankenhaus (Israelite Hospital) until his emigration in the spring of 1939. He appointed Felix Epstein as administrator of the hospital. Epstein was incumbent as head of hospital administration from 1939 to his deportation to Theresienstadt on 19.07.1942. Epstein (1882-1982) was one of the few who survived Theresienstadt to return to Hamburg. At the end of the war he was chairman of the hospital committee from 1951-1960, and from 1968 honorary chairman. After Epstein was deported Langstadt took over the administration of the hospital until 1945.
Dr. Walter Julius Rudolphi was chairman of the hospital committee from 1939 until his deportation to Theresienstadt on 15.07.1942. From Theresienstadt he was taken to Auschwitz where he was gassed.
The driving force behind Dr. Rudolphi was Benno Hirschfeld (1879-1945), who became essential after Rudophi's deportation. As head of the Jewish Kleiderkammer (clothing store), situated at No. 2 Beneckestraße, he acquired clothing for the hospital.
The hospital buildings in Johnallee kept a list of individuals who were admitted and who died having taken an overdose of sleeping pills in response to the deportations. In July 1942, (the month in which the three major deportation transports from Hamburg took place) there were many more deaths recorded, i.e. 80, than the average of 34 in the months prior to July 1942. The list of individuals who committed suicide as victims of Nazi persecution unequivocally verify that this high death rate was due to "forced" suicide. In Hamburg a total of 319 individuals committed suicide due to the Nazi persecution (1933-1945).
The hospital at No. 68 Johnsallee was the last address in Hamburg for at least 3 individuals
before being deported to Theresienstadt:
Hospital patients who were deported in July 1942 are not identifiable through the deportation transport lists as the No. 68 Johnsallee address no longer appears.
In July 1942, the days on which catering was offered in the hospital was reduced to 1,736,
in August, to 1,422, and in September to 906 days.
At this time there were 4 doctors, from the group of "Mischehe" ("mixed-marriages"), who
were authorized as "Krankenbehandler" to exclusively treat Jewish patients. These doctors had their
practice at No. 68 Johnsallee. These doctors were:
Dr Friedrich Glaser was deported to Theresienstadt on 15.07.1942 and died in 1944. His last address in Hamburg was No. 56 Großneumarkt, in a "Judenhaus" ("Jewish Building"), in the Neustadt district.
The paediatrician Hans Rosenbaum was also deported to Theresienstadt on 15.07.1942 and died there. Dr. Martin Heinrich Corten later became senior consultant at the Israelitische Krankenhaus (Israelite Hospital) from 1943-1946.
In 1945, the clinic at No. 68 Johnsallee belonged to the Albertinenhaus.
No. 68 Johnsallee exists today and accommodates the Seminar für Verwaltungslehre, the Seminar für Finanz- und Steuerrecht, and the Seminar für Handels-, Schiffahrts- und Wirtschaftsrecht of the University of Hamburg.
A memorial plaque has be erected on the facade of the building. It reads:
Ehemalige Calmannsche Frauenklinik.
Dieses Gebäude ließ sich 1916/17
Da Dr. Calmann 1938
Nachdem das traditionsreiche
Das Haus diente 1939 bis 1942
German text: Dipl.-Pol. Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-Jüdische Gesellschaft, Hamburg.