II. Buildings Integral to the Former Life and/or Persecution of Jews in Hamburg - Eimsbüttel/Rotherbaum I.
The Hamburg Television Tower is officially named the Heinrich-Hertz-Turm (Turm=Tower) in honour of the Hamburg born physicist. It is by far the highest tower in Hamburg. The architects were Fritz Trautwein and Fritz Leonhard. It was built between 1965 and 1968 as the telecommunications tower of the Deutsche Bundespost (German Federal Mail).
It has an overall height of 279·80 m, whereby the conical concrete shaft ends 204 m above the ground. At a height of 128-132 m there is a two-storeyed viewing platform and restaurant. Above this at a height of 150 m, projecting further out from the shaft, is the operations platform, and further above this six smaller antenna platforms. The NDR (North German Broadcasting) broadcasts its Second and Third radio programmes and the private television companies Sat1 and RTL broadcast their television programmes from here.
The tower stands as an elegant landmark in the north west corner of Planten un Blomen (Public Gardens) and, from the park, is reached via a footbridge over Renzelstraße. Two high speed lifts take the visitor to the viewing platform, (with two self-service restaurants), in roughly 30 seconds. From here one has a magnificent panoramic view over the entire city with the Alster lakes, the river Elbe and Port of Hamburg, and further afield towards Schleswig-Holstein and Lower Saxony. The restaurant above the viewing platform revolves a full 360° once every hour.
He received a comprehensive education in the humanities and natural sciences, and received his Ph. D. magna cum laude from the University of Berlin in 1880, where he studied under Hermann von Helmholz. In 1883 he began his studies of the electromagnetic theory of James Clark Maxwell. He became professor of experimental physics at the Karlsruhe Polytechnic at the age of 28. Between 1885 and 1889, while he was professor of physics at the Karlsruhe Polytechnic, he produced electromagnetic waves in the laboratory and measured their length and velosity. He showed that the nature of their vibration and their suseptibility to reflection and refraction were the same as those of light and heat waves. As a result he established beyond any doubt that light and heat are electromagnetic radiation. In 1889, Hertz was appointed professor of physics at the University of Bonn, where he continued his research on the discharge of electricity in rarefied gases.
His scientific papers were translated into English and published in three volumes:
He died at the early age of 37 after a long illness.
A school is named after him: Heinrich-Hertz-Grundschule, Poßmoorweg 22, 22301 Hamburg, and a street: Heinrich-Hertz-Straße, 22083/22085 Hamburg.
His is one of the 56 portraits, in relief, of eminent citizens of Hamburg, on the columns in the entrance hall of the Rathaus (Town Hall). His was one of the six out of seven "Jewish" portraits removed by the Nazis, but which has since been replaced.
In 1925 Gustav Hertz was appointed professor of physics at the University of Halle and in 1928
professor of physics at the Technische Hochschule in Berlin. In 1932 he devised a method of
separating the isotopes of neon.