IV. Buildings Integral to the Former Life and/or Persecution of Jews in Altona.
3. No. 69 Bernstorffstraße (former Adolphstraße).
In 1920, the east European Jewish society "Adas Jisroel" established a small synagogue in a former
workshop at no. 69 Adolphstraße (today Bernstorffstraße). It was reached via a passageway barely a
metre wide. The women's gallery was partitioned from the men's room by thick curtains in accordance
with strict orthodox ritual. On the night of Yom Kippur (Tishri 10) in October 1936 a disaster occured.
In accordance with east European custom a large number of candles had been lit. A draught brought a
flame in contact with the Torah curtain which immediately caught fire and within a very short time
the entire eastern wall was in flames. It took the fire brigade one and a half hours to extinguish
The holy shrine and ten Torah rolls were burnt together with the cantor's lectern. The ceremonial
burial of the burnt Torah rolls took place in the Bornkampsweg cemetery in the presence of a large
number of people including Jews from Hamburg.