The former house No. 4 in the former Zweite Marktstraße was once the Hamburgische Deutsch-Israelitische Waisen-Institut für Knaben (Hamburg Deutsch-Israelite Orphanage for Boys) that in 1880 acquired a site in Papendamm for the construction of an orphanage.
In 1766 Bendit Scheier and Simon Knorr founded a Verein zur Versorgung der Waisen (Society for the Care of Orphans). The list of supporters of the society from the "triple Jewish community" of Altona, Hamburg and Wandsbek included the chairman Jakob Cohn, Rabbi Jizchok Horwitz, Jechiel Wallich, Raphael Cohn and Noah Berlin.
The society initially placed the orphans in suitable homes. The orphanage was founded in 1812. This was realized through a legacy from E.M. Warburg. The first orphanage was opened in "Bei den Hütten". The first director was the teacher Philipp Nathan. Three years later, in 1841, a building was purchased at (No. 4) Marktstraße. Here the directors were J.A. Gotthold from 1852-1878, and Emanuel Bodenheimer from 1878-1891.
The orphanage was established to take in surviving, legitimate, male orphans and to give them a religious and civic education. Girl orphans were to be provided for later, when there were more funds available. No child was accepted before the age of 6, and no child admitted to the orphanage was allowed to leave before the age of 14. Orphans over the age of 12 were not admitted. Mothers of boys admitted to the orphanage were placed under the obligation to abstain from any influence regarding the education or upbringing of their child. The boys received their education at the Talmud Torah School. The director of the orphanage, a member of the teaching staff of the Talmud Torah School, supplemented this teaching.
Individuals who bequeathed 3,000 Mark or more to the orphanage could thereby donate a Kaddisch "in perpetuity" on the anniversary of their death.
The following were members of the management or of the Deputation of the orphanage
(An institution peculiar to Hamburg that goes back to the early democratic development of the
Hansa city. A Deputation consisted of the responsible Senator and 15 "burgerlichen" members.
A Deputation was elected by the Hamburg Bürgerschaft (parliament) and held office until the next
election. Its function was to give informed advice to civil service departments. Each department
had such a Deputation):
While for boys from 1766 there existed an orphanage society and from 1841 an orphanage, the Jewish community arranged for orphaned girls to be given to the care of individual Jewish families through a special payment made from the communal coffers. It was not until the beginning of the 1850s that the idea arose for an orphanage for girls. In 1856 the businessmen brothers Isaac J. Jaffé and Daniel J. Jaffé acquired building No. 5 Zweite Marktstraße, with garden, to found the girls' orphanage. The orphanage was, "for eternity", named Paulinenstift, in memory of the deceased wife of Isaac J. Jaffé, Pauline, née Goldschmidt.
The example of the philanthropy of the Jaffé brothers encouraged other benefactors, Jews and non-Jews, to donate money so that the conversion and equipping of the building was achieved within a short time. In 1857 the Paulinenstift, Waisenhaus für israelitische Mädchen (Paulinen Trust, Orphanage for Israelite Girls), which is to be read on the facade of the building, was opened.
The members of the management were:
Rosalie Steinfeld was engaged as female director.
The statutes of the Paulinen Foundation, later known as the Israelitisches Mädchen-Waisenhaus Paulinenstift (Israelite Girls' Orphanage Paulinen Trust), formulated the purpose of the orphanage as to provide orphaned girls, and motherless, or fatherless girls of the Hamburg Israelite community with care and upbringing, free of charge, until the end of their 16th year of age. In principle girls were admitted between the ages of 5½ and 12½ years. Orphaned girls were given preference. Following school leaving age the girls remained in the orphanage for one or two additional years and were given an occupational training. On leaving the orphanage they received th enecessary clothing etc. to make a start in the world.
From 1858-1874 Bertha Mayer was the female director of the orphanage; her successor being Jeanette Haurwitz from 1874-1898.
In 1883 the building was sold to the City of Hamburg and the site at No. 37 Laufgraben acquired with the proceeds. From 1857 orphaned girls of the Paulinen Trust received an education in the Israelitische Mädchenschule von 1798 (Israelite Girls' School founded 1798) free of charge. Up to 1862 the female director of the Paulinen Trust was at the same time teacher in this school. The school occupied a building situated in the garden area at the rear of house No. 5. It had a roll of around 90 girl pupils.
In 1798, at a time when for the Jewish community an education for girls was not thought of, several members of Jewish community met and to consider an improvement to the education of girls. The Unterrichts-Anstalt für arme israelitische Mädchen (Educational Institute for poor Israelite girls) was founded as a result, with the intention of providing a free education for girls, in needlework and other basic subjects.
The length of schooling was 6 years with a 9 hour school day, excluding Sabbath and Jewish holidays. All official school leavers received a certificate from the school director 6 months after leaving school if they had behaved appropriately during this time.
German text: Dipl.-Pol. Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-Jüdische Gesellschaft, Hamburg.