The Samuel Lewisohn-Stiftung was founded on 22.10.1890. through a deed of gift, in memory of Samuel Lewisohn, resident of Hamburg, by his sons Leonard, Adolph, Philip and Albert, living in New York.
The house contained 8 subsidized flats that, in 1906, were each occupied by a family. The basement shops, which included flats, were rented. In addition to the subsidized rent, in exceptional cases financial assistance was given, this being practically unique to the inhabitants of this building.
The Housing Trust was founded to grant subsidized accommodation to Jewish residents of Hamburg.
An unmortgaged, well located site, suitable for the establishment of family flats was to be acquired
for this purpose. It was the wish of the benefactors of the trust that the accommodation should
exclusively benefit needy families, and particularly those who had once lived in better circumstances.
The City of Hamburg had, for years, waived the property tax, however, in 1936 these back
payments had to be paid. On 1.04.1937, 106.50 RM property tax was demanded monthly. In 1938,
as the low income of the trust was insufficient to meet these payments the trust's board came to the
In 1936, the Hamburg Senat (executive) intervened in the statutes of the trust and in a decree, dated 9.09.1936, ordered that a Paragraph 6 should be added, after which the trust could only make changes to the statutes with the approval of the Deutsch-Israelitische Gemeinde (German Israelite Community). The approval of the provincial government was required before any decision was made regarding the name, location or purpose of the trust, as well as decisions regarding the assets of the trust. Paragraph 6 of the statutes, that was appended on 5.07.1938, was also made in reference to a decision of the Reichsstatthalter (Reich Governor) dated 28.06.1938.
Up until 1938, Leon Kitz had rented a basement shop in the trust building. When he was deported to Poland a caretaker was appointed to see that the shop was unsealed and placed at the disposal of the trust once again, and that back rent was paid.
The last, remaining, agenda of a meeting of the trust is dated 26.02.1940. It refers to a board meeting held at No. 6 Beneckestraße. One of the topics on the agenda, which is not further elucidated, is "Anordnung des Chefs der Sicherheitspolizei und des SD vom 25. Oktober 1939" (Order of the Chief of Gestapo and SD dated 25 October 1939).
In 1942, the trust's assets, which in the meantime had become the property of the "Reichsvereinigung der Juden in Deutschland", were compulsorily sold. Prior to this, the address of the housing trust often appears as the last address of individuals in the Gestapo lists of deportees on the deportation transports on 11th, 15th, and 19th July 1942. Nearly all Jews registered by the Gestapo had to be accommodated in one of the few buildings of the Jüdische Religionsverband before April 1942. The former housing trust building at No. 32 Kleiner Schäferkamp became one such "Judenhaus" ("Jewish building"). The conditions were generally very crowded in these "Judenhausen".
The last address in Hamburg of 44 people on the deportation transports to Theresienstadt on 11.07.1942 and 19.07.1942 is registered as No. 32 Kleiner Schäferkamp. An indication of the crowded living conditions is acquired when one sees that on 22.09.1938, 23 people lived here, only one of whom appears on the deportation lists, demonstrating that within almost four years at least 43 new people had moved into the house.
Of the 44 deportees in the year 1942 whose last address was No. 32 Kleiner Schäferkamp the following
are representative: (From 1.01.1939 Jews not having a Jewish first name had to assume Sara
and Israel respectively when woman or man)
German text: Dipl.-Pol. Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-Jüdische Gesellschaft, Hamburg.