Agudath Jescharim = association of the honest.
The former synagogue of the "Kelilath Jofi und Agudath Jescharim" that was housed in the residential building at No. 5 Heinrich-Barth-Straße was established in 1885 by the Kelilath Jofi und Agudath Jescharim Vereinigung (Kelilath Jofi and Agudath Jescharim Society). It was the oldest synagogue in the Rotherbaum district, and was known as the "Synagoge Bornstraße" ("Bornstraße Synagogue").
Two storeys, the lower and upper groundfloors, of the residential building were rented and combined. A raised platform contained places for women. The synagogue held 80 places for men and 45 places for women.
The society also maintained a synagogue at the rear of No. 32 Großneumarkt/Neue Steinweg, known as the "Weinbergsche Schul" ("Weinbergsche Synagogue"), until 1910. This synagogue was officially opened in 1876, and initially maintained solely by the Kelilath Jofi society. The originally independent Agudath Jescharim society initially maintained its own synagogue in Elbstraße, in the Neustadt district. This synagogue was dedicated in 1840, and was known as "Garcher Schul" ("Garcher Synagogue").
On 16.07.1901, the two societies merged and the new organisation was to permanently retain the names of the two fomerly independent societies.
The purpose of the society was:
All male Jews circumcised in accordance with ritual law and all Jewish women could become members
of the organisation. Individuals living in a marriage in violation of Jewish marital law
were excluded. A messenger, preferably an orphan boy, and, according to requirement, a cantor
and a rabbi, or a qualified person when a rabbi was not available, were to be employed for
The committee represented the interests of the members and monitored the business of the board in the interest of the members. Ordinary general meetings were to be held in the first quarter of each year. Only male members were invited. 218 male members attended the ordinary general meeting held in the conference room of the synagogue on 1.03.1913. Dr. Caesar Heckscher, lawyer, was elected chairman of the board at this meeting. He held this office until 1937.
In 1913, the society seriously considered transferring its religious services to a larger space. It was intended to establish a synagogue at No. 25 Hoheluftchaussee, even though a synagogue had already existed here since 1909.
In 1939, the Gestapo informed the society that the synagogue at No. 5 Heinrich-Barth-Straße was to be dissolved, and reconverted for residential use. The society members successfully shipped the synagogue furnishings to Stockholm. Here they were installed in the "Jeschurun" synagogue at No. 12 Nybrogatan, in Stockholm.
No. 5 Heinrich-Barth-Straße was destroyed in an air-raid in 1943. Today, a four-storey residential building occupies the site.
German text: Dipl.-Pol. Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-Jüdische Gesellschaft, Hamburg.