This building together with the former No. 8 Durchschnitt and No. 22 Bornstraße, belonged to the former Louis Levy-Stift (Louis Levy Housing Trust). Louis Isaac Levy and his wife Caroline Theres founded the trust in their will. The purpose of the trust was the provision of flats for "needy" members of the Deutsch-Israelitischen Gemeinde (German Israelite Community) or the Portugeisisch-Jüdischen Gemeinde (Portuguese Jewish Community), for rent, or in exceptional cases free of rent.
In 1942 the property, which had in the meantime transferred to the ownership of the "Reichsvereinigung der Juden in Deutschland ("Reich Association of Jews in Germany"), was compulsorily sold.
Prior to this the address of the Louis Levy Trust is frequently registered as the last address in Hamburg of deportees on the Gestapo deportation transport list of 15th July 1942 to Theresienstadt.
Practically all Jews registered by the Gestapo had to be accommodated in the few buildings of the Jüdischen Religionsverband (Jewish Religious Association).
It was very crowded in these "Judenhäusern" ("Jewish Buildings"). At least 22 individuals
were deported from No. 1 Durchschnitt to Theresienstadt on 15.07.1942.
The building has been entirely renovated.
German text: Dipl.-Pol. Wilhelm Mosel, Deutsch-Jüdische Gesellschaft, Hamburg.